How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have.
They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
~Søren Kierkegaard

Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Life of Repentance

The first of Martin Luther's 95 Theses declares the entire life of believers "to be one of repentance." Indeed, there is a sense in which we never progress beyond this repentance. Part of the Spirit's growing us into maturity in the image of Christ is an equally growing awareness of the number and depth of our sins, and a greater awareness of our dependence upon Christ. This is not a morbid or morose introspection, but a frank recognition of "the facts." As Paul said, "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24) and "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost" (1 Timothy 1:15). Paul's assessment is right on; that is who we are. And that is why we must continually confess our sin and repent of it. This is not only a one time thing that we do to become a Christian. Interestingly, repentence and belief are joined in Scripture. In Mark 1:15 Jesus says, "Repent and believe in the gospel." Now, none of us thinks that he means to believe once and thereafter forget it. He calls us to a continual belief. Likewise, our repentance is not a one time turning from sin, but a continual one. Jesus also said, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23).
Now, what is true of our daily living ought especially to be true of our weekly gathered worship as a church--the acknowledgement of my own sin and my utter need for a savior outside of myself is an absolutely fundamental reorientation for worship. So, as "worship leader" (a ridiculous title, because it is given to the guy who leads the singing, and so we begin to think only of the singing as "worship") at my church, I have somewhat successfully instituted a time of confession of sin in our worship service. This flows from everything the Bible says about worship. The psalmist says, "If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened" (Psalm 66:18). When Isaiah saw the Lord his response was, "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!" (Isaiah 6:5). Likewise, when Ezekiel saw a vision of God's glory, he wrote, "I fell on my face" (Ezekiel 1:28).
Okay, that's Old Testament you say. Well, all over the New Testament people are falling in worship at Jesus' feet. The word most often translated "worship" in the NT means just that, "to bow down or kneel before." It is the act of placing oneself literally underneath or below another. These people are bowing down before Jesus, and he accepts their worship. Never does he say, "Stop it! You're embarassing me!" He accepts their bowing down, speaks restorative words to them, and sends them away to "sin no more."
Alright, but those are strangers. We are believers who are in Christ! We have received forgiveness already! We should just bask in that glory and not rub our faces in our sins! Well, aside from the example of Paul above, perhaps the best example is John, the "beloved disciple." When John was confronted with the glorified Jesus he "fell at his feet as though dead" (Revelation 1:17). Now, I know it's a real downer to come to church and fall down as though dead, but that's what happens when sinners come into the presence of a holy God! I could go on much more, but let me end by encouraging you to look further into this and even to encourage your church leadership to do so. Repentance shoud be our daily individual practice, and our weekly corporate practice in the church. The complete lack of this in churches today is a serious oversight.

No comments:

Fairtax.org

Search this blog


Kevin
Covington, Georgia, US
Welcome to the Daily Mail. I'm a mailman and this is my blog. Thanks for dropping by! You can communicate with me or keep up with this blog's content in the following ways:
E-mail me!
Widgetize!      My Facebook Profile

Enter your e-mail address below to receive blog updates in your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You might also like to read my other blog, Sons of Liberty Academy, about our family homeschool.

Sons of Liberty Academy

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Browse by Subject

Recent Comments

Daily Reads

Clicking on "The Divine Hours" below will take you to a prayer reading for the day and hour.

Headlines

Christian Persecution News

Four-Dollar Words

A wise mailman called Foot refers to words that are advanced in syllables or meaning as "four-dollar words." The Daily Mail and Wordsmith offer the following four-dollar words for your personal vocabulary expansion:

Caption Contests

Below are some of our past Caption Contests and the winning captions. Click here to see all past Caption Contests and the losing captions as well.

WINNER: Hooper--"What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine. An eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little mailboxes, and that's all."
Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them."
-Mark Twain

Reviews

"very interesting and thoughtful"
"on my favorites now"
"He uses them four-dollar words!"
"I mean, you finally got a blog that's articulate and bright and clean and nice-looking. I mean, that’s a storybook, man!"
Powered By Blogger