How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have.
They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
~Søren Kierkegaard

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

G-N-O-S-T-I-C-I-S-M

Okay, boys and girls. It's time for another "four dollar word." Gnosticism. The "g" is silent, the "o" is like the "o" in "pot," and the "c" is an "s" like in "exorcism." So, try it again. Gnosticism. I have several posts coming up on various topics like food, worship, beer, Baptists, death, etc. All of these will tie in (believe it or not) with "Gnosticism." So, what is Gnosticism? The term comes from the Greek word gnosis, which means "knowledge." An "ism" is a system or doctrine of belief. Gnosticism, therefore, is a system of belief that regards the attainment of certain hidden, or secret, knowledge as the means of escape from the physical and material world (which is inherently evil) to the spiritual and immaterial world (which is inherently good).
The New Testament suggests that even then a germ of Gnosticism was making inroads into the church. John appears to be addressing this heresy directly in the verses below:

  • John 1:14: And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
  • 1 John 4:2-3: By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
  • 2 John 1:7: For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.
Now, this all stands in stark contrast to the so-called "Gnostic gospels," like Thomas, Mary, and the recently hyped Judas. For example, the latter has Jesus saying to Judas, “But you will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me." The idea here is that Jesus' crucifixion is something which will liberate him from the (corrupt) flesh that masks the true, spiritual him. This is a biblically absurd notion! If Jesus was to be liberated from the flesh, then why did he appear to his disciples again, after the resurrection, with a fleshly body and not as an immaterial spirit? To be fair, it was a remarkably transformed (i.e., glorified) body. But it was still a "flesh and bone" body that bore the scars of the crucifixion, that could be touched, and that ate food. Jesus' own words about this body confirm that he was not simply a spirit: "And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." (Luke 24:38-39).
The resurrection is the final repudiation of Gnosticism. It is impossible to be Gnostic and to also believe in the Christ of the Bible. The Christ of the Bible shows Gnosticicsm to be a lie. And yet in many ways we are modern day Gnostics--even us church folks. We have learned it from the Gnosticism of popular culture (things like the Star Wars and Matrix movies) and from frankly bad Bible interpretation. I hope to explore some of these things over the coming days. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was gonna hammer you for making me wait on the beer blog, but now that you've slammed a couple of my favorite flicks I don't know what to say.
Can Jaws be equated as gnosticism? The shark as satan, Brodie as Peter, Quint as John the Baptist and Hooper as Jesus?(Hooper went to his watery death only to reappear to Brodie at the end of the film). Am I on the right track here? Or do I need to go back to waiting on the Beer post?

Kevin said...

Interesting! I think I see Brody more in the J.B. role--"a voice crying in the wilderness (or on the beach)." And Quint could be Peter, the fisherman, of course. And Hooper has a good "Jesus beard," I suppose . . . But I don't see it as especially "Gnostic." Maybe the scene where they are singing the drinking song as picturing a sort of "escape" via the "gnosis" they share; only to be reminded of their imprisonment aboard the boat to the shark who mercilessly slams the vessel, picturing the fleshly afflictions of this world? Hmmmm.

(BTW--Peter Benchley died this year on February 11)

Oh, and I'm not saying that I don't like the movies. I think they are great, and they are among my favorites as well. But they are Gnostic--I think the Matrix trilogy is explicitly intended to be so.

Fairtax.org

Search this blog


Kevin
Covington, Georgia, US
Welcome to the Daily Mail. I'm a mailman and this is my blog. Thanks for dropping by! You can communicate with me or keep up with this blog's content in the following ways:
E-mail me!
Widgetize!      My Facebook Profile

Enter your e-mail address below to receive blog updates in your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You might also like to read my other blog, Sons of Liberty Academy, about our family homeschool.

Sons of Liberty Academy

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Browse by Subject

Recent Comments

Daily Reads

Clicking on "The Divine Hours" below will take you to a prayer reading for the day and hour.

Headlines

Christian Persecution News

Four-Dollar Words

A wise mailman called Foot refers to words that are advanced in syllables or meaning as "four-dollar words." The Daily Mail and Wordsmith offer the following four-dollar words for your personal vocabulary expansion:

Caption Contests

Below are some of our past Caption Contests and the winning captions. Click here to see all past Caption Contests and the losing captions as well.

WINNER: Hooper--"What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine. An eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little mailboxes, and that's all."
Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them."
-Mark Twain

Reviews

"very interesting and thoughtful"
"on my favorites now"
"He uses them four-dollar words!"
"I mean, you finally got a blog that's articulate and bright and clean and nice-looking. I mean, that’s a storybook, man!"
Powered By Blogger